Wearing jewelry when you have a nickel allergy can be very frustrating since nickel is used as the base metal for gold jewelry. It takes time before a person develops a nickel allergy and people with sensitive skin should steer clear of jewelry containing nickel. In this blog we will discuss the symptoms of an allergic reaction, how to treat an allergic reaction, and tips for wearing jewelry with a nickel allergy.
What Are The Symptoms Of An Allergic Reaction?
An allergic reaction usually begins no later than 48 hours after wearing the jewelry. The reaction can last anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks and will appear where the jewelry came in contact with the skin. The symptoms of an allergic reaction to your jewelry can resemble the symptoms of a reaction to poison ivy. The common symptoms of a reaction to jewelry may include; dry patches that resemble a burn, rashes, bumps, warmth, swelling, tenderness, redness, itching, and irritation.
The main cause of an allergic reaction to jewelry is a nickel allergy or any allergy related to metal. It might feel like it just happened to you out of the blue one day, but that is because it may take several exposures before your body has an adverse reaction to the metal in the jewelry. There are several factors that may increase your risk of developing an allergy to nickel or metal. The most common factors are wearing gold jewelry, family history, and working frequently with metal.
How Do You Treat An Allergic Reaction To Jewelry?
Once you notice your allergic reaction to jewelry you are going to want to remove the jewelry immediately. We are not saying you have to stop wearing your favorite piece of jewelry forever just during certain occasions. Removing jewelry regularly like when you are showering, working out, or sleeping. Taking them off at these times gives your skin a break and reduces wear on your jewelry.
Another way to treat an allergic reaction is to clean and dry the piece of jewelry due to moisture and bacteria being trapped which can often lead to skin irritation. Cleaning your jewelry will help reduce the risk to an allergic reaction especially for wider rings or stacking jewelry. Make sure your jewelry is completely dry before putting it back on. While your jewelry is off it is helpful to use calming lotions on the affected areas.
What Are Tips For Wearing Jewelry With A Nickel Allergy?
It is important to avoid wearing jewelry and other accessories that contain metal when you have an allergy to nickel. We understand that is way easier said than done! Any gold jewelry less than 24k contains a mixture of metals and plated gold jewelry contains nickel alloy underneath making it very hard to avoid. Understanding what your jewelry is made out of will be key to helping you.
Try finding jewelry that is made out of sterling silver, platinum ,and stainless steel or creating a barrier for your sink. This will reduce the risk of an allergic reaction and make it possible for you to wear your favorite pieces of jewelry. A way you can do this is by applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to the part of the jewelry that will touch your skin. It will also be important to consult with your dermatologist to find what will work the best for you.
The Diamond Reserve has jewelry for all types of skin, give us a call at 303.385.8449 or click here to book your consultation!