Planning a special engagement starts with choosing a date or occasion when this magical moment will take place. Holidays, breaks from work, school, and perhaps most notably, the season/weather, all play into the moment that someone proposes. Proposal season, usually November through to February, is a peak time period during which an estimated one third of couples get engaged. Is this the right time for you to propose? Let’s explore some of the most popular proposal times, and hopefully that’ll help you decide when to get engaged.
What’s the Most Popular Time of Year to Propose?
The most popular time of year to propose varies depending on location and culture, but some times are more popular for engagement proposals. The winter holiday season has long reigned supreme when it comes to the most popular months to get engaged. November and December are festive months that evoke feelings of thankfulness and love. This is also a time when we’re likely to be surrounded by loved ones, and many couples want to share these special moments with them. Though Valentine’s only lasts a single day (February 14th), the feeling of love permeates the entire month, and it isn’t shocking that a lot of couples get engaged throughout the month.
Spring, a time representative of renewal, rebirth, and fresh new beginnings is another popular season for proposals. The blooming flowers, mild weather, and longer daylight hours create a beautiful and romantic backdrop for engagements. Many couples choose to propose in gardens, parks, or other outdoor settings during this time in late March. Warmer days and the long Memorial Day weekend in May make it another popular month. May leads seamlessly into summer, a time when celebrating your engagement and beginning wedding planning becomes easier due to summer break and people’s availability opening up.
Summer is a favored season for outdoor proposals, beach engagements, and destination proposals. The warm weather and opportunity for vacations or getaways provide an ideal setting for a memorable engagement. Many couples take advantage of the typically warm weather by spending time together at their favorite outdoor spots, and school’s out for summer, which means that couples or significant others with children can more easily be involved in the proposal.
The fall season is known for its stunning foliage and comfortable temperatures. Many people opt for engagements in the outdoors during fall, taking advantage of the vibrant colors and cozy atmosphere. We can’t go without mentioning Halloween, as spirited couples who go all out find it an especially fun day to get engaged.
What’s the Best Time of Year to Propose?
While we highlighted some of the most popular times of year for proposals, it’s essential to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and the best time to propose is a deeply personal decision. Deciding on when to propose will depend on many factors. Would you like to be surrounded by family and friends or do you prefer a private, romantic setting? Are you hoping for an indoor proposal or something outdoors where weather and season will be a factor? Ultimately, the best time to propose is when it feels right and aligns with the unique story and connection of the couple.
Here are some considerations to help you determine the best time of year to propose:
- Seasonal Preferences: Consider whether you and your partner have a preference for a particular season. Some people love the idea of a winter proposal with a snowy backdrop, while others may prefer the vibrant colors of a spring or fall proposal. Summer offers warm weather and outdoor possibilities.
- Special Dates: Some couples choose to propose on significant dates, such as the anniversary of their first meeting, the date of their first kiss, or on a shared milestone. These personalized dates can add extra meaning to the proposal.
- Holidays: Proposing on a holiday can be especially romantic. Popular choices include Valentine’s Day, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and birthdays.
- Travel Plans: If you and your partner have travel plans, consider proposing during a memorable trip. A proposal in a beautiful and exotic location can make the moment even more special.
- Family and Friends: If you want to involve family and friends in the proposal, think about when they can be present. Some may prefer to propose during a family gathering, while others may want a more intimate moment.
- Moon and Stars: If you’re into astronomy or astrology, consider proposing during a celestial event like a meteor shower, eclipse, or under a canopy of stars. Such moments can add a magical touch to your proposal.
Ultimately, the best time of year to propose is one that aligns with your partner’s desires and the unique story of your relationship. It should be a moment that feels right and genuine for both of you. While planning can enhance the experience, the most important element is the love and commitment you share with your partner.
Whether you want to propose in a winter wonderland or by the light of a summer campfire, every season is the right season for love. Have you found the perfect diamond engagement ring yet? We can help! Give us a call at 303-385-8449 or click here to schedule an appointment.